By Oginyi Nkechinyere
A centenarian, Madam Udu Ewa and three other family members have been found dead on their beds at the early hours of Monday 27th May, 2019 at Amachara village, Afikpo North Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.
The deceased who were said to have thrown up all the last food they took on Sunday night before embarking on a journey of no return in their sleep, is suspected to have died of food poisoning.
Other victims include Eleje Udu, 70, Mgbeodichima Udu 56 and the youngest among them, Amarachi Inya Udu, 46.
Ebonyi State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) DSP Loveth Odah confirmed the death of a 100-year-old woman and three other family members and said the police is investigating the unfortunate incident but are waiting for experts to conduct autopsy.
DSP Odah said that the command received such mysterious information with a heavy heart and prayed that such mayhem should not befall the state again.
She explained that the Divisional police officer in charge of Afikpo received the information at about 9:00 am and mobilized policemen to the scene, recovered the corpses of the victims and deposited them at Mater Misericordiae Hospital at Afikpo North Local Government Area of the state for autopsy.
She said, “The death of the said persons was as a result of suspected food poisoning. A family of four at Amachara village at Afikpo North LGA was discovered dead on their bed inside their room.”
“We sent a team of police officers to the area and discovered that the said family of four ate their last meal and gave up the ghost. The victims included a woman of over 100 years and another elderly of over seventy years and two others.”
“Their bodies have been deposited at the Mater Misericordiae Hospital and autopsy will be conducted to ascertain the real cause of their death. We are leaving it in the hands of experts to go ahead and conduct autopsy, but people should be mindful of what they eat.”
“We urge people to always check the type of food they want to eat to avoid this kind of mysterious death,” she warned.Follow us