.. As Governor Releases Names of New Appointees
By Oginyi Nkechinyere
Over 10,000 persons in Ebonyi state have applied for the positions of Commissioner, Senior Special Assistant (SSA), Special Assistant (SA) and other political positions in the second tenure of Governor David Umahi’s administration.
This was disclosed by the Governor this Wednesday while swearing-in the Head of Service (HoS) of the state and 21 newly appointed aides.
It would be recalled that in June, the Ebonyi state government had called for applications from the public to apply as member, local government advisory committee, Senior Technical Assistant (STA) Technical Assistant (TA), development centre coordinator and management committee members. The Submission of the application is expected to end on 15th of July, 2019.
He lamented that many people in the state were interested in ‘juicy’ political appointments rather than smaller ones like Technical Assistant (TA), Senior Technical Assistant (TSA) and Development centre Coordinator.
Umahi said unfortunately, in his next appointment of SAs and SSAs not up to 10% of the ones he made would be appointed.
He said, “What is trending in Ebonyi state is that ‘I want to be SSA and SA’. Imagine the cabinet we have, everybody wants to be SA. If I am making more SAs, it must not be up to 10% of the SAs I have appointed. It is my opinion that we find something else to do.”
“My commissioner will come last. I want to let them know that this job can be done without anybody. My former commissioners started a very bad trend for the state and for me. Every day, it was discussing the governor, going from one office to the other. They were going about saying that there were not being given anything and not being taken care of. If I hear that anybody complain again, I will get rid of that person.”
“So, anybody we will appoint now, we will tell the person, this is not to come and eat, it is all about work. So, from day one, if you do not want to sacrifice to work for the people, you better go and look for another opportunity. If I get anybody complaining that there is no money, I will get rid of the person. This is no longer going to be a gossip workshop. People that are called are called to work.”
“This is not the era of coming with files. You have to create wealth. Let’s look beyond the money we get. If you think this is a safe haven, I have withdrawn the overhead from ministries, STAs and TAs. There are so much loose funds with all the financial institutions. Let’s look beyond the money we get for paying salaries. When you attract funds from outside, you start making your overheads”, he said.
He assured that those that would not make it would be given opportunities to make money, even as he threatened anyone suspected to be a cultist will be dealt with.
“For those in my exco before, definitely not everybody will come back. For those who cannot come back, we will create opportunities, that they will even make more money than those that will be in exco. I was told we have over 10,000 applications for commissioners, SAs, SSAs.”
“It is threatening; it doesn’t give me joy at all. Any of my appointees that have been cleared by the quarters concerned, if you are found identifying with cultism, we will sack the person, and the next available flight will take you to the national security adviser”, he vowed.
Meet the New Appointees of Ebonyi State Government with their Portfolios
1. Dr. Nwele Chamberlain – Head of Service
2. Hon. Okechukwu Nwakpu – Deputy Chief of Staff
3. Hon. Emmanuel Obasi – Deputy Principal Secretary
4. Ogbuefi Enekwachi Akpa – Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Local Government and State Affairs
5. Hon. Valentine Okike-Uzo – Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Stadium and Housing Development
6. Hon. Frank Onwe – Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Private Schools
7. Hon. Julius Nwokpor – Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on House of Assembly matters
8. Hon. Joseph Nwobasi-Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Airport Project Development
9. Barr. Emeka Nwode-Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Legal Services
10. Hon. Chike Imo Ogiji-Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on UBEB and SEB Projects
11. Hon. Ali Odefa-Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Infrastructure Maintenance
12. Engr. Nwaze Okechukwu Joseph – Special Assistant to the Governor on Hospital Projects
13. Hon. Edwin Onwe – Special Assistant to the Governor on Solid Minerals
14. Hon. Silas Emeka Onu – Special Assistant, Governor’s office
15. Hon. Onyeabor Ngene – Special Assistant to the Governor on Special duties
16. Engr. Martins Okwuegbu-Special Assistant to the Governor on Internally Generated Revenue
17. Hon. Gideon Onwe-Special Assistant to the Governor on Students’ Affairs
18. Mr. Chris Uchaji – Special Assistant to the Governor on SSG’s office
19. Hon. Mark Onu -Special Assistant to the Governor on Youth Mobilization
20. Mr. Agwu Igwe Nweze -Special Assistant to the Governor on Finance and Account
21. Mrs Jennifer Adibe-Nwafor-Special Assistant to the Governor on Interparty Dialogue and Labour Relations
22. Mr. Stephen Nweze – Personal Assistant to the Governor.Follow us