By Oginyi Nkechinyere
Ebonyi State Police Command says about 300 applicants has been successfully captured in the ongoing police screening/ recruitment exercise into the Constable cadre of the Force out of 1679 shortlisted in the state.
Ebonyi State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Odah Loveth made this known to journalists this Tuesday in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi State capital.
DSP Odah lamented that there is abysmal low turnout of the applicants in the exercise that in a local government where sixty applicants were shortlisted, only thirty came out for screening and Ebonyi may not get the required number at the end.
According to her, the exercise started in the state at the Police Officers’ Mess close to the Command’s Headquarters on July 1 and will ended on July 20 and mop up exercise will commence between July 21 to 28 July while the examination will hold between 4th and 8th August, 2019.
She said, “Out of 1679 applicants shortlisted, 779 have been screened, and out of the 779 so far screened about 330 applicants have been successfully captured and their names sent to Abuja while others were disqualified for one reason or the other such as flat-footed, over age, low height and small chest for men.”
“Obviously people are not coming out and I want to call on the applicants to come out for the exercise to forestall the state losing its quota allocated to it. You might be successful, the screening is not the last exercise, you still have examination to write.”
“We shortlisted 1,679 applicants from the 13 Local Government Areas out of many that applied for the 2018/2019 Police Recruitment exercise.”
“The exercise which is for the lower cadre is for the recruitment of constables into the force, but the applicants are not showing up, maybe I will continue to announce it on radio.”
“This low turnout is affecting the number of candidates we are expected to screen per day and this development is not good for the state because it may affect Ebonyi quota for the final intakes”. She said