The suit seeking for amendment of some sections of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as (amended) to enable President Mohammed Buhari and Governors contest for third tenure in office has been withdrawn by the appellant, Charles Oko Enya.
Council to the plaintiff Barr. Iheanachor Agboti made the appeal for the suit’s withdrawal on Wednesday and was approved by the court.
The plaintiff had approached a Federal High Court in Abakiliki seeking for the amendment of section 137(1) (b) and 182 (1) (b) in the 1999 constitution (as amended).
He maintained that the sections were infringement on the fundamental human right for freedom for the likes of President Muhammadu Buhari and governors who might seek for third tenure in office.
The suit with No. FHC/AI/CS/90/19 after two weeks it was filed (20th November, 2019) could not had it first hearing in the Federal High Court 2, Abakiliki under Justice, Akintayo Aluko.
“Upon the application of the learned counsel for the applicant for the withdrawal of this suit, I say may the case be struck out”, Justice Aluko said.
The three (3) defendants originally joined in the suit; Clerk of the National Assembly, Mr Mohamed Sani-Omolori, National Assembly and the Attorney General of the Federation, Justice Abubakar Malami were absent in court.
“I have the instruction of my client to withdraw the suit so as to allow further consultation”, he said.
With this recent development at the court, it is now obvious that the applicant has bowed to pressure to renege from the course.
Citizens’ Advocate gathered that there had been rumored plans by some stakeholders of the All Progressives Congress both in Abuja and in Ebonyi State to expel the applicant from the party if he fails to withdraw the matter from court.
Hon. Oko Enya, a faithful party loyalist had worked for All Progressives Congress (APC) as the Organising Secretary to President Muhammadu Buhari in the last election.