Fire Victim Receives Succour From Moses Erim Foundation

By Agnes Nworie

A group known as Moses Erim foundation in Ebonyi state has extended helping hand to a victim of fire disaster one Mr. Onele Arinze to enable him to continue his treatment.
Coordinator of the foundation in Ebonyi state, Mr. Joseph Orogwu said he was prompted to give succour to the young man after reading heart touching write-up made about him on social media which fell within their work scope.
Mr. Orogwu who gave the sum of fifty thousand naira cash and a pair of walking clutches to the victim also enjoined other good spirited individuals, groups, government, corporate organizations to meet the indigent at their point of needs.
Mr. Orogwu said, “What prompted our little token was the report I read about him on social media. We decided to come and give our widow’s mite. Our NGO is still a new born baby, if we had enough we would have just off set the entire bill, this is the much we can afford now. We have also taken it upon ourselves to continue reposting the write-up to attract more funds to ensure he fully recovers and the entire bill is paid. Sequel to the negative effects of covid-19 pandemic, the government at all levels should be alive to their responsibilities, especially when it concerns indigent ones. I learnt they have a unit in Ebonyi government house that takes care of the welfare of the indigent ones, that unit should be very active.
“Our NGO was primarily established to assist the less privileged Ebonyians because we operate within the state. So what we did is part of our objective. We have been empowering people, assisting the needy, the poor in the rural areas without publicity. The leader of the foundation, Mr. Moses Erim is based in United Kingdom but he set up the foundation here in Ebonyi to help our people.


The victim and his mother’s joy knew no bounds as they received the cash gift and walking clutches and prayed that God Almighty will replenish purses of their benefactors and benefactresses.
Recall, Arinze had epilepsy for 15 years and almost survived the sickness. But the ailment relapsed and he had a fire accident that burnt his legs. The 24 year-old Arinze Onele, a native of Ezzagu in Ishielu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State is being held in the hospital for a N345,000 bill with infection already ravaging his legs.
Arinze is the 4th child of his family. His mother gave birth to five children. He lost his father at a very tender age. Immediately after his father died, he started having a strange ailment. The sickness would drag him down and make him unconscious. His mother took him to Psychiatric hospital, Enugu and doctors recommended some drugs which he was taking then. Arinze continued taking the drugs and the sickness subsided. His mother, Onele Josephine started making efforts to enroll him in a skill acquisition centre, where he would learn some handiwork since the sickness couldn’t allow him to go to school. As she was planning to raise money to do that, the sickness returned and the worst happened.
Narrating the incident to newsmen in the hospital recently, she disclosed that it was in March this year when Arinze was cooking and went to put down the food from the fire that the epileptic attack suddenly started and he fell down into the fire. The fire burnt his two legs and nobody was around to help him out. He remained in the fire till he regained consciousness. It was some passers-by who saw him crawling like a baby in front of their house with burns he sustained from the fire that raised the alarm and asked him where his mother went to. He told them that his mother was in the church and they quickly rushed to the church to inform her of what happened to Arinze. The woman was in prayer mood and didn’t go home immediately she was told what happened to Arinze. After the prayer and the gospel that followed the prayer, she went home and saw things for herself.
According to Mrs. Onele, the devastated widow, “I was not around when my son fell into fire. I was in the church that time. But there is something that always drag him and whenever it occurs to him, he would fall down. After some time, he would regain strength. He decided to cook food and was pulling it down from the fire when that thing that drags him occurred and he fell into the fire.”
“After regaining consciousness, he crawled to the road and some women of our community, who were passing, saw him and became shocked. They immediately collected my phone number and called me, I rushed home immediately and saw him.’
“That thing that always drags him has been happening to him since, but it stopped three years ago. It came back and we started giving him treatment. We took him to Psychiatric Hospital, Enugu, where some drugs were prescribed for him. He started taking it and the thing reduced to a great extent. The thing started disturbing him from childhood. That time, he would shout very loud and become shocked.”
“It started after his father died and I wouldn’t say it was as result of the shock from his father’s death because he was very small when he died. My husband died 15 years ago and Arinze is 24 years old.”
“In this Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital Abakaliki (AE-FUTHA), there is a drug we buy for him every day at N2,500 which was recommended by Doctor. I started buying that drug in March, when we came to this hospital but there is no money to continue buying the drug for him. Because I stopped buying the drugs, infection has entered the legs and the hospital has discharged us, giving us a bill of N345,000 to pay before we would be allowed to go home. That thing that made Arinze to fall into fire is still disturbing him.
“It still drags him and has not stopped till now. “I am helpless, I don’t have money and I don’t have anybody to run to for assistance. I need assistance from all quarters. I need help seriously. To feed is very difficult let alone buying the drug I buy for him and paying the hospital bill we were asked to pay. My husband is no more alive and nobody asks us how we are doing, nobody visits us in the hospital except some persons from our place who gave us N3,000 when they visited us. They told us they don’t have much and dropped that amount. Since then, nobody has visited us and my late husband had no brother or sister. He was the only child of his parents”.
“She described the boy as a very dedicated Christian, who likes the things of God and expressed the hope that he will get better. She said money was all that is needed now to save his son.
“Arinze is a very dedicated Christian, who likes evangelism. He doesn’t joke with evangelism and he prays fervently. Because of his dedication in the things of God, that thing that always drag him stopped and I was very happy that it has stopped. I started planning on how to train him in skill work but the thing suddenly came back and rendered him like this. The fire dealt with him badly and Doctors had to cut flesh from his laps to fill the big holes on the legs that were burnt by fire. I strongly believe that he will get better; only money is what it will cost which I don’t have any now”, she stated.
On his part, Arinze said: “This thing happened to me in March.
My head was turning and I fell into fire. I was very shocked before I fell into fire. I wanted to put down food from the fire when my head started turning and I fell into the fire with my legs and nobody was around when it happened to me. I felt very dizzy before it happened to me. I was trying to pull down the food I was cooking from firewood fireplace when it happened to me. I was shouting but nobody came to my rescue because it was on a Sunday morning when all had gone to church. I later regained consciousness& strength and came out of the fire and by that time, it has already burnt my legs.
“I call for assistance from government at all levels, nongovernmental Organizations(NGOs), corporate bodies and public spirited individuals to come to my aid ,my mother had sold all we have to safe me ,yet to no avail”, Arinze appealed.
For those who are touched to help this young man, the following are the account details –
Onele Kingsley
0007681205
Diamond Bank
For more enquiries, call the mother Mrs. Onele Josephine on 08068698905.

Follow us