Ezinne Elizabeth Ezaka has joined her Creator on Monday 7 November, 2022 after receiving the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick from Rev. Fr. Kenneth Nomeh at Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State. Her Body which has been deposited in the Morgue of same hospital shall be laid to rest after a Requiem Mass on Tuesday 27 December, 2022 at her country, Eguhuo Ezzagu Community, Ishielu LGA, Ebonyi State.
The Deceased was the wife of Mr. Michael Ezaka -the Pioneer Catechist of St. Joseph’s Parish Ezzagu and the Mother of Mr. Godwin C. Ezeaka – the Columnist with Citizens’ Advocate Newspaper, Journey with the Saints, who is also the Publicity Secretary of Catholic Media Practitioners Association of Nigeria (CAMPAN), Abakaliki Diocese.
SACRAMENTAL LIFE AND TIMES OF EZINNE ELIZABETH EZAKA (R.I.P.)
1. BAPTISM: “I tell you most solemnly, unless a man is born of water and the spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” (John 3:5)
Nweke Omenyi christened Elizabeth was baptised on 14th day of July, 1973 by Rev. Fr. E.O. Reilly at St. Anthony Ishiagu with Beatrice Igwe as her Sponsor.
2. HOLY EUCHARIST: “Unless you eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood, you will not have life in you.” (John 6:53)
Elizabeth received her first Holy Communion on same day of her baptism, 14/07/1973. She continued to be divinely nourished by the Heavenly and Spiritual Food till her demise.
Ezinne Elizabeth Ezaka frequented the Confessional as can be attested to by the Past Resident Catholic Priests of St. Joseph’s Parish, Ezzagu. She equally encouraged her biological and spiritual children (those she sponsored in Baptism, Confirmation or Holy Matrimony) to frequent the Routine Sacraments of the Church (Confession and Holy Communion) on regular basis.
4. CONFIRMATION: “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes, and then you will be my witness” (Acts 1:8).
Elizabeth Omenyi received the Sacrament of Confirmation on 10th January, 1975 from Bishop Thomas McGettrick with Mrs. Ngozi Njoku (Mother of Rev. Fr. Emmanuel C. Njoku) as her Sponsor. Her Conformation name is Jacinta.
5. HOLY MATRIMONY: “What God has joined together, man must not divide” (Matthew 19:16)
On October 2, 1982, Elizabeth Omenyi was sacramentally married (wedded) to Mr. Michael Ezaka by Rev. Fr. Raymond Ezeonu at St. Joseph’s Parish Eguhuo-Ezzagu with Mr. Emmanuel & Mrs. Jacinta Oriko as Principal Witnesses.
6. ANOINTING OF THE SICK: Severally, Elizabeth Ezaka received the Sacrament of the Sick from different Catholic Priests at Various Stages of her ill health. Rev. Fr. Patrick Otu-Ibe administered the Sacrament before her major surgical operation at FETHA in 2017. During her stay at Abakaliki, Rev. Fr. Dr. Christopher Okoro, Rev. Fr. Kenneth Nomeh, Rev. Fr. John Odey and Msgr. PatrickMary Anene Mmuo attended to her Sacramental needs. At the hour of her death, Rev. Fr. Kenneth Nomeh (Spiritual Director of Nso na Agha Eucharistic Adoration Ministry, Abakaliki, Nigeria) was there to Anoint and prepare Ezinne Elizabeth Ezaka for her final journey to Eternity.
7. HOLY ORDERS: At her young age before Marriage, Rev. Fr. Raymond Ifeanyi Ezeonu send Elizabeth to join the Medical Missionaries of Mary (M.M.M.) at St. Patrick’s Hospital, Mile 4, Abakaliki. Her stay with in Convent was short as she could not comprehend the foreign Languages and Assents of the Expartriate Nuns (Rev. Sisters). That’s how she escaped being a Consecrated and Professed Female Religious (Nun) or Celibate.
Through the inspiration and motivation of Rev. Fr. Raymond Ezeonu, against the backdrop of a society that abhorred and resisted Western Education in general and a culture against Female Education in particular, Elizabeth Omenyi weathered all storms and enrolled into Aguotu Community Primary School Ezzagu in 1976. She passed the then Anambra State of Nigeria Ministry of Education, First School Leaving Certificate Examination, 198, thus acquired her First School Leaving Certificate (FSLC) with Certificate No. 356862.
Her Headmaster at Aguotu Community School, Ezzagu, Ichie Alexander N. Anyalagu in her Testimonial dated 4th November, 1986, states as follows:
“The Bearer, OMENYI ELIZABETH was a pupil of the above-named school from 1976 to 1981.
She took the Ministry of Education First School Leaving Certificate Examination in 1981 and was successful.
She is obedient, hardworking and devoted.
There are no adverse reports about her.
I therefore recommend her for employment or further studies.”
Though Ma Elizabeth Omenyi did not further her studies or got employed into the Civil Service, she was an industrious woman who took proper care of her children by providing them with the Best of Food and Nutrition, Nourishments and Supplements, Clothing, Education. She was a bulwark of support to her husband. Ezinne engaged full time into Agriculture (Farming and Animal Husbandry) and Trading. By the Labour of her hands, she was able to train her children in the best of schools, raising his first son to postgraduate Degrees holder. To be continued